Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Another One

"Willow Creek Spring"
Oil on Panel
8x10"
2008

I have to admit I was surprised at how many people liked the painting I posted last, probably because it just wasn't a favorite of mine. Maybe you were all just being nice? Honestly though, I find that I often have a hard time judging which of my paintings will elicit a response in others.

I think that my opinion of each painting is too tainted by my experience painting it. If I have to do a lot of rework, or I'm uncomfortable with a given subject, I automatically assume others will see my struggle. Conversely, sometimes a painting just paints itself and I fall in love with it immediately, and then I find that others don't care as much for it. So it goes in the subjective world of art!!

This is another little painting I did of a similar scene (and be warned that this photo isn't doing it justice). Same creek, same day, same shadows on the hillside in the background. I've done three paintings of this creek now - I was just completely taken in by the way the shadows were descending down the hillside in the background, and there was such a strong divide between sunlight and shadow. I think this one will look really nice once it's framed, but I'm still not sure I'm 100% happy with it. I do think it's a bit more my style than the other one though.

It's always fun to have the time to work on a series of the same scene. Helps to work the kinks out and really study the subject matter!

1 comment:

  1. I like this one and the previous one for different reasons.
    I think that working in series of the same scene is a great way to go about it. It gives you the chance to explore lots of ideas without having to cram them all in one painting and over working it.
    It also allows you to try out something that you might not be sure of. If there was only one piece, you might hesitate.

    ReplyDelete