Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Mixed Feelings

"Alpenglow Study #2"
Oil on Panel
8x10"
2008

Well, tomorrow is Aspen's first day at daycare, and I'm totally dreading having to drop her off in the morning. She'll only be going two days a week, and she's old enough now that I know it will be good for her to be with other kids, but I'm still sad to leave her with someone other than family. Here's hoping it goes well, or I'm just going to be a big ball of motherly guilt tomorrow night!

On a positive note, it's dumping snow here, so it'll be nice to make myself a cup of tea tomorrow morning and shut myself in the garage (um, er, studio) with my easel for the day. I haven't painted in over a week and a half and I'm itching to get back to it.

I'll have to see how the new garage studio works out. I had to go buy lights today, and I have to admit it was a bit tough to find color-corrected lightbulbs in a small mountain town. And the garage, while heated, is not insulated so well, so I might be bundling up to paint. The good news is that is has high enough ceilings for me to properly use my easel with large paintings, and it's MUCH bigger than the loft that was my studio in our house.

4 comments:

  1. i had the same feelings when i first started taking my daughter to a sitter twice/week. i cried the first few times i left her. but now i love it. i know she loves it there, and the best part is picking her up. i can barely drive the speed limit to get there. and her face just lights up and she yells mommy mommy and leaps into my arms! she is so excited to see me. that's the best part, stay at home mom's don't get that often.

    beautiful expressive brushstrokes in this painting. the colors are very peaceful too. quite lovely. have fun painting in your new space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such control of your values in so many of these landscapes.
    You won't get any work done for the first day, you'll just be pacing around wondering if Aspen is o.k.
    The second day will be better for painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine - it's reassuring to hear that it'll get better! I think she'll love being with the other kiddos - it's just so sad to leave her the first time =(

    Frank - I'm glad you think the values are ok - they were tough in this painting what with half being in shadow, half being in sunlight. And yes, I figure if I can get through today, I'll be more productive next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to tell from an image on a computer but it looks to me like the last few paintings have been painted in a much looser fashion. I think they look great, very relaxed and confident.

    ReplyDelete