Friday, December 09, 2005

Raindrops on roses...

Ok, I admit it - I am a closet Christmas music junkie.

When the local easy listening station plays Christmas music 24-7 between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I secretly dial it in as one of the preset stations in the car so I can get my Christmas music fix whenever the mood strikes. (Of course, I dial it in on the second band of presets so that no one will discover that I ever actually listen to the easy listening station, even if it is only one month of the year).

Anyhow, I went to the grocery store at 10 o'clock last night, and with all the pretty snow and Christmas lights on the houses I was really feeling the holiday mood. So there I am, cruising along singing at the top of my lungs to Christmas carols, happy as a clam, when they begin to play "My Favorite Things" (you know, the song they sing in the Sound of Music when the awful green curtains are still on the windows in her bedroom).

So, now to the point of this entire post:

Why the heck is that considered a Christmas song?!?!?!

Every year they play it on the above-mentioned easy listening station, interspersed with classics such as O Holy Night, Winter Wonderland, and Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song. And I just don't get it? Am I missing something?

I hate it when that freaking song comes on and jerks me out of my holiday reverie. It's just not right.

2 comments:

  1. This is something that has plagued me for many a year as well. I can't help you. However, you might check out the KBCO holiday channel online. If you can access it from work. They will never play "These Are a Few of My Favorite Things."

    Actually, trying to uncover what makes that a Christmas song sends me off on a rant similar to the one Harry goes on about "Auld Lang Syne" in When Harry Met Sally. "My whole life, I don't know what this song is about..." Except I'm thinking, "My whole life, I don't get what makes this a Christmas song. Raindrops on roses is clearly a reference to summertime. Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes is also a summertime things. But then you've got the line about snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes."

    And one line about snow doesn't a Christmas song make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good question. i'm not so much in the christmas music mood this year. at the carwash yesterday they were playing this god awful version of i saw mommy kissing santa claus (which i hate to begin with) and it was too much for me. now if radiohead were to do a christmas album, that would be another story...

    ReplyDelete